Commute Bhullar`s death sentence: Amarinder
Chandigarh: After SAD sought the PM`s
intervention in showing mercy to Khalistan militant Devinder
Pal Singh Bhullar, former Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Sunday favoured commuting his death sentence to life in
President Pratibha Patil on May 26 rejected the mercy
petition of Bhullar, a member of Khalistan Liberation Force
"I feel killing a man is not going to solve the
problem. By killing a man you can`t solve the problem,"
Amarinder, who is also President of Punjab Congress, told
With Punjab set to have Assembly elections early next
year, Amarinder said that his views were in his personal
capacity and not that of the party.
While asserting that there was no doubt about the crime
committed (by Bhullar), Amarinder maintained it was his
personal view, and said "let him (Bhullar) stay in jail
forever and give him life sentence".
He pointed out that Bhullar was already in jail for ten
years, of which the militant spent eight years under death
row. These factors should have been taken into consideration
while taking final decision on his mercy petition, he said.
"I cannot comment on other cases. The matters are
sub-judice," he said, when asked about his stance on similar
He said that in Bhullar`s case the judicial process had
On SAD seeking the Prime Minister`s intervention,
Amarinder said he was not aware about it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears