Commute Bhullar`s death sentence: Amarinder
Chandigarh: After SAD sought the PM`s
intervention in showing mercy to Khalistan militant Devinder
Pal Singh Bhullar, former Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Sunday favoured commuting his death sentence to life in
President Pratibha Patil on May 26 rejected the mercy
petition of Bhullar, a member of Khalistan Liberation Force
"I feel killing a man is not going to solve the
problem. By killing a man you can`t solve the problem,"
Amarinder, who is also President of Punjab Congress, told
With Punjab set to have Assembly elections early next
year, Amarinder said that his views were in his personal
capacity and not that of the party.
While asserting that there was no doubt about the crime
committed (by Bhullar), Amarinder maintained it was his
personal view, and said "let him (Bhullar) stay in jail
forever and give him life sentence".
He pointed out that Bhullar was already in jail for ten
years, of which the militant spent eight years under death
row. These factors should have been taken into consideration
while taking final decision on his mercy petition, he said.
"I cannot comment on other cases. The matters are
sub-judice," he said, when asked about his stance on similar
He said that in Bhullar`s case the judicial process had
On SAD seeking the Prime Minister`s intervention,
Amarinder said he was not aware about it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16