‘Comparison of K’taka DGP with Saddam unfortunate’
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday termed as "unfortunate" the comparison made in the Karnataka High judgments in which Director General of Police Shanker Bidari was described as worse than dictators like Saddam Hussein and Muammar Gaddafi.
The High Court had on Friday struck down appointment of
Bidari as state DGP and IG, describing him as "worse than
Saddam Hussain or Muammar Gaddafi" for alleged atrocities
committed by the Special Task Force led by him during the hunt
to nab forest brigand Veerappan.
"How can I comment on something which is stated in a
judgments? But I think it is unfortunate that such comparison
should be made in a judgment of the High Court," Chidambaram
said when asked about High Court`s description of Bidari.
"But then the matter is sub-judice because I am told an
appeal has been filed in the Supreme Court," the Home Minister
The High Court had dismissed as "without merit and
substance", petitions by the government and Bidari,
challenging the CAT order, and held his empanelment
by UPSC and consequent appointment as "void and illegal".
On March 16, CAT had set aside Bidari`s appointment as
DGP and IG and ruled that A R Infant should be appointed ad
hoc police chief till the government decides on the new
Infant was today appointed as the new DGP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says