‘Comparison of K’taka DGP with Saddam unfortunate’
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday termed as "unfortunate" the comparison made in the Karnataka High judgments in which Director General of Police Shanker Bidari was described as worse than dictators like Saddam Hussein and Muammar Gaddafi.
The High Court had on Friday struck down appointment of
Bidari as state DGP and IG, describing him as "worse than
Saddam Hussain or Muammar Gaddafi" for alleged atrocities
committed by the Special Task Force led by him during the hunt
to nab forest brigand Veerappan.
"How can I comment on something which is stated in a
judgments? But I think it is unfortunate that such comparison
should be made in a judgment of the High Court," Chidambaram
said when asked about High Court`s description of Bidari.
"But then the matter is sub-judice because I am told an
appeal has been filed in the Supreme Court," the Home Minister
The High Court had dismissed as "without merit and
substance", petitions by the government and Bidari,
challenging the CAT order, and held his empanelment
by UPSC and consequent appointment as "void and illegal".
On March 16, CAT had set aside Bidari`s appointment as
DGP and IG and ruled that A R Infant should be appointed ad
hoc police chief till the government decides on the new
Infant was today appointed as the new DGP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!