‘Comparison of K’taka DGP with Saddam unfortunate’
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday termed as "unfortunate" the comparison made in the Karnataka High judgments in which Director General of Police Shanker Bidari was described as worse than dictators like Saddam Hussein and Muammar Gaddafi.
The High Court had on Friday struck down appointment of
Bidari as state DGP and IG, describing him as "worse than
Saddam Hussain or Muammar Gaddafi" for alleged atrocities
committed by the Special Task Force led by him during the hunt
to nab forest brigand Veerappan.
"How can I comment on something which is stated in a
judgments? But I think it is unfortunate that such comparison
should be made in a judgment of the High Court," Chidambaram
said when asked about High Court`s description of Bidari.
"But then the matter is sub-judice because I am told an
appeal has been filed in the Supreme Court," the Home Minister
The High Court had dismissed as "without merit and
substance", petitions by the government and Bidari,
challenging the CAT order, and held his empanelment
by UPSC and consequent appointment as "void and illegal".
On March 16, CAT had set aside Bidari`s appointment as
DGP and IG and ruled that A R Infant should be appointed ad
hoc police chief till the government decides on the new
Infant was today appointed as the new DGP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan