Compensation to 26/11 victims: BJP men go on hunger strike
Mumbai: BJP activists on Thursday held a protest
outside Mantralaya with top city leaders going on an hunger
strike demanding compensation be given to families of all the
victims of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
BJP Mumbai president Gopal Shetty alongwith leaders like
Kirit Somaiya, Atul Shah and Raj Purohit participated in the
hunger strike and were detained by police.
"Families of only 122 of the 403 killed or injured in
the attacks, have received compensation from the Prime
Minister`s Fund and 98 from the Union Home Ministry. We have
demanded that compensation for the remaining be given in a
month," Somaiya told reporters.
Accusing the State Government of negligence, Somaiya
said it had not yet sent all the recommendations for
compensation to the concerned Ministries.
Home Minister R R Patil assured the BJP leaders to
look into the matter as early as possible.
"We have given the Government a month`s time to clear the
cases failing which the party would continue its protest,"
P Chidambaram, during his first visit to Mumbai after
taking charge as Home Minister on December 5, 2008 had asked
the Maharashtra government to pay the compensation package
that has been announced for the victims in a time bound
He had said whatever relief package announced – be
it the cash compensation, accommodation or a job for the next
of the kin, it needs to be carried out before December 31,
Citing examples to the contrary elsewhere in the
country, the Home Minister said if "the compensation is not
given within a time frame it gives rise to a bitter feeling
among the affected".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore