Compensation to 26/11 victims: BJP men go on hunger strike
Mumbai: BJP activists on Thursday held a protest
outside Mantralaya with top city leaders going on an hunger
strike demanding compensation be given to families of all the
victims of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
BJP Mumbai president Gopal Shetty alongwith leaders like
Kirit Somaiya, Atul Shah and Raj Purohit participated in the
hunger strike and were detained by police.
"Families of only 122 of the 403 killed or injured in
the attacks, have received compensation from the Prime
Minister`s Fund and 98 from the Union Home Ministry. We have
demanded that compensation for the remaining be given in a
month," Somaiya told reporters.
Accusing the State Government of negligence, Somaiya
said it had not yet sent all the recommendations for
compensation to the concerned Ministries.
Home Minister R R Patil assured the BJP leaders to
look into the matter as early as possible.
"We have given the Government a month`s time to clear the
cases failing which the party would continue its protest,"
P Chidambaram, during his first visit to Mumbai after
taking charge as Home Minister on December 5, 2008 had asked
the Maharashtra government to pay the compensation package
that has been announced for the victims in a time bound
He had said whatever relief package announced – be
it the cash compensation, accommodation or a job for the next
of the kin, it needs to be carried out before December 31,
Citing examples to the contrary elsewhere in the
country, the Home Minister said if "the compensation is not
given within a time frame it gives rise to a bitter feeling
among the affected".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack