Compensation to personnel on peacekeeping missions hiked
New Delhi: The compensation paid to
defence personnel killed in peacekeeping missions under the
United Nations (UN) flag has been increased to USD 70,000 from
USD 50,000, the Lok Sabha was informed on Monday.
In a written reply to the House, Defence Minister AK
Antony said, "A sum of USD 50,000 was being paid for those
killed. This has been revised to USD 70,000 with effect from
July 2010. "
"The death compensation paid to the families of
personnel killed in such peacekeeping missions is over and
above the normal package for similar cases in India," Antony
He also informed the House that eight Indian Army
personnel were killed in various UN peacekeeping missions
during the last three years.
Meanwhile, replying to a query on whether the cadets
in the Indian Military Academy (IMA) are allowed to keep
mobile phones and get Internet facilities in their rooms,
Antony said, "The cadets have been permitted to keep mobile
phones in their rooms from July 2010."
"In the past, mobile phone signals were not available
in IMA campus from any mobile service provider. However,
adequate number of fixed lines and WLL connections excluding
BSNL were provided in each training company to enable cadets
to make and receive calls," he added.
On Internet facilities in the rooms of the cadets, the
minister said, "They have not been provided with internet
access in their rooms. However, internet service has been
provided under centralized arrangements at cyber cafes in each
company, IT labs and library."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof