Complete crime, criminal tracking system speedily: PC
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram on Wednesday
wanted speedy completion of an ambitious project to increase
coordination among various state police forces to counter
Once the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems
(CCTNS) is complete, it will mark a quantum jump in country`s
ability to counter various challenges to internal security,
particularly terror threats, he said.
Chidambaram was addressing the concluding session of a
three-day annual conference here of Directors General and
Inspectors General of Police organised by the Intelligence
A sum of Rs 89 crore has been allotted to the states under
the CCTNS for networking of all crime-related data amongst all
In his inaugural address on Monday, the Home Minister had
suggested that the conference must mark the beginning of a
process of reinventing the security system in the country.
"...It is the neglect of tried and tested methods that has
led us to a situation where we seemed unequal to challenges
that face the internal security of the country," he had
The National Crime Records Bureau, which has been working
on the project, gave a presentation on the need to reinvent
the security system by learning from past mistakes and
adopting new technology.
Key objectives of the CCTNS project include creating
platforms at State and Central levels for sharing crime and
criminal information and databases across states and across
This would enable easy sharing of real-time information
across police stations and districts at the state level and
across states at the national level, thereby resulting in
improved investigation and crime prevention and better
tracking of criminals, suspects, accused and repeat offenders.=
It will also help in creating a platform for sharing
intelligence across the states, across the country and across
other state-level and central agencies, improved service
delivery to the public, access to police services in a
citizen-friendly manner and provide alternative modes of
service delivery such as internet.
The CCTNS project covers all 35 states and union
territories. Within states, more than 14,000 police stations
and 6,000 higher offices including district headquarters and
range offices are covered.
The system will provide enhanced tools for investigation,
crime prevention, law and order maintenance and other
functions like traffic management, emergency response.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi