Complete induction of MiG-29Ks by mid-2012
Panaji: Indian Navy`s `Black Panthers`, a squadron of MiG-29K aircraft, will complete induction of the Russia-made fighter jets by mid-2012, officials said on Saturrday.
The delivery of first batch of 16 aircraft is likely to be completed this month, Commander B Hota, Commander-in-Chief of the squadron, told a news agency.
"The second lot of 29 aircraft will arrive at a later date," he added.
Talking to reporters on the sidelines of a press conference organised to announce golden jubilee celebrations of Naval base `INS Hansa`, located at Vasco, about 40 km from here, Hota said Black Panthers would be renamed Squadron 303.
MiG-29Ks based at INS Hansa are attached to aircraft carrier `INS Vikramaditya`, which will be commissioned in the Navy shortly.
MiG-29K is one of the most versatile and formidable carrier-borne fighter aircraft in the world. It is designed to destroy aerial targets, enemy`s surface and shore targets, Navy officials said.
Commodore Ravneet Singh, Commanding Officer of INS Hansa, said the state-of-the-art simulator for MiG-29K would be ready within a couple of months.
The Naval base is also being equipped with the ski-jump facility and shore-based test facility (SBTF).
Besides India, only American and Russians are going to have SBTF by the middle of next year, Singh said.
The facility will create an atmosphere which is similar to that on an aircraft carrier and would help the pilots in training.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore