Completely wrong to say Surjeet was sent to Pak as spy: Govt
New Delhi: Government on Friday described as "completely wrong" that Surjeet Singh, the Indian prisoner who has just returned from Pakistan, had been sent by intelligence agencies to that country as a spy.
Union Home Secretary Raj Kumar Singh said it was completely wrong to say that Surjeet Singh was sent by Indian intelligence agencies for espionage in Pakistan.
"We do not accept this. It is completely wrong. We deny it. We do not do this kind of thing (spying on other countries). Neither we do spying, nor we send spies," he said at a press conference here.
He was replying to a question on Surjeet`s claim that he was sent to Pakistan by an Indian intelligence agency for espionage.
"If someone is claiming (that he was a spy), he is doing so just to get importance or for some other reasons. We deny it," he said.
Asked about the ill treatment meted out to Indian prisoners in Pakistan, the Home Secretary said "we have taken note of that".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic