Composite oxygen cylinders for IAF, Army pilots
New Delhi: Now, IAF and Army pilots will be able to stay airborne for longer periods.
The Defence Research and Development Organisation has come up with composite oxygen cylinders that will lighten the burden of military helicopters in high-altitude areas.
"The oxygen cylinders used in Chetak and Cheetah helicopters last for 20-25 minutes only. We have developed a composite oxygen cylinder which would weigh one-fifth of normal cylinders but can provide oxygen supply for minimum two
hours," W Selvamurthy, chief controller of DRDO told a news agency.
Developed by Defence Bio-Engineering and Electro Medical Laboratory (DEBEL), the cylinders take away a significant amount of weight from the choppers, increasing its
weight carrying capacity for longer durations.
"IAF has already accepted the technology and is considering placement of orders. Only a very few air-forces in the world have this technology and we managed to develop it in a record period of six months only," he said.
DRDO launched the project on suggestions of Defence Minister AK Antony to find an alternative of heavy oxygen cylinders that hamper weight carrying capacity of the
Completed at a cost of Rs six crore, DRDO recently completed the industrial checks of the technology and is now looking froward to initiate the tendering process for
appointing an industrial partner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead