`Compulsory education to create intellectual asset`
New Delhi: Aspiring for total literacy in
the country, the government on Friday said the bill to make
primary education free and compulsory for children in the 6-14
age bracket would help create an intellectual asset.
Moving the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory
Education Bill 2009 in the Lok Sabha, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal
said "intellectual asset forms part of nation`s wealth" and
any opposition to it would be an "anti-national act."
He said the landmark bill, already passed by the Rajya
Sabha, sought put the onus on the government of ensuring that
all children got free and quality education.
"In the 21st Century, intellectual asset forms part of
the wealth of the country. Any opposition to this bill, I
think, is anti-national. A child is entitled to quality
education and it is a Constitutional right," he said.
Sibal expressed confidence that the next Census in 2011
will show a 10 per cent jump in literacy level to 75 per cent.
"But, we cannot be satisfied with this," he said.
He said in several states, schools lacked infrastructure
and in some rural areas, there were no teachers.
In a veiled reference to political indoctrination in
school syllabus, Sibal said, "We do not want an education that
Speaking on the bill, Kirti Azad (BJP) said his party
would support it, but asked the Minister to specify financial
sources and spending plan for the purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?