`Computer networks of Eastern command probably compromised`
New Delhi: Computer networks of the Eastern Naval Command were "probably compromised" after hacking attempts in 2011 and appropriate steps have been taken since then to strengthen it, Defence Minister A K Antony on Wednesday said.
"There were intelligence reports in November, 2011 about probable compromise of computers of Eastern Naval Command based in Visakhapatnam," he told the Rajya Sabha.
In written reply to the House, Antony said that hacking is a constant and real threat worldwide in the cyber domain.
On steps taken to strengthen cyber system, he said, "The matter has been investigated and appropriate steps have been taken to strengthen security of network."
The Defence Minister was replying to a question, "Whether Chinese hackers have succeeded in hacking the sensitive network of Eastern Naval Command based in Visakhapatnam and stealing intelligence inputs."
In reply to a question on detection of Chinese spy vessels in territorial waters of the country recently, the Minister denied any such development.
Replying to a question on construction of border roads in Uttarakhand, Antony said, "The Tanakpur-Tawaghat road having a length of 258.60 kms has been completed to single lane specification. Out of this, 256.72 km is being improved to double lane Specification by BRO."
He further informed the House that 40 kms of road stretch is already completed and work on remaining portion is under various stages of progress, which is planned to be completed by 2019.
The delays in completion of project were caused due to delay in land acquisition and forest clearance and difficulties in availability of construction materials, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'