`Computer networks of Eastern command probably compromised`
New Delhi: Computer networks of the Eastern Naval Command were "probably compromised" after hacking attempts in 2011 and appropriate steps have been taken since then to strengthen it, Defence Minister A K Antony on Wednesday said.
"There were intelligence reports in November, 2011 about probable compromise of computers of Eastern Naval Command based in Visakhapatnam," he told the Rajya Sabha.
In written reply to the House, Antony said that hacking is a constant and real threat worldwide in the cyber domain.
On steps taken to strengthen cyber system, he said, "The matter has been investigated and appropriate steps have been taken to strengthen security of network."
The Defence Minister was replying to a question, "Whether Chinese hackers have succeeded in hacking the sensitive network of Eastern Naval Command based in Visakhapatnam and stealing intelligence inputs."
In reply to a question on detection of Chinese spy vessels in territorial waters of the country recently, the Minister denied any such development.
Replying to a question on construction of border roads in Uttarakhand, Antony said, "The Tanakpur-Tawaghat road having a length of 258.60 kms has been completed to single lane specification. Out of this, 256.72 km is being improved to double lane Specification by BRO."
He further informed the House that 40 kms of road stretch is already completed and work on remaining portion is under various stages of progress, which is planned to be completed by 2019.
The delays in completion of project were caused due to delay in land acquisition and forest clearance and difficulties in availability of construction materials, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?