Concern in LS over child labour, water scarcity
New Delhi: Members in the Lok Sabha today drew the government`s attention towards several issues, particularly the plight of deserted women, child labourers, water scarcity and safety of Indian fishermen on high seas.
Raising the issue on the plight of child labourers during Zero Hour, Virendra Kumar (BJP) said people often employ child labourers to save money as they can be hired for much lesser amount.
He claimed that the money saved in hiring child labourers was akin to making black money and demanded stringent punishment for those who indulge in such a practice.
Anu Tandon (Cong) raised the issue of women deserted by their husbands and said without going through divorce proceedings they are unable to get benefits.
"Abandonment should be made a penal crime...Such women don`t get facilities entitled to divorcees or widows," she said.
A Sampath (CPI-M) said the recent incident in which two Kerala fishermen were shot dead by Italian marines mistaking them to be pirates highlights the plight of the community which is forced to go to the high seas as foreign trawlers manage to get most of the catch in areas close to the coastline.
He demanded that Navy and the Coast Guard should ensure protection of Indian fishermen up to 60 nautical miles from the coastline to ensure that they do not fall prey to such incidents.
Shailendra Kumar (SP) said fall in groundwater level due to over exploitation and scanty rainfall has created a water shortage in various regions.
He suggested creation of check dams to store rainwater and said government should amend certain rules regarding water use to help the common man.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'