Concern in LS over killing of Indian fishermen
New Delhi: Members on Wednesday expressed concern in
the Lok Sabha over the killing and arrest of Indian fishermen
by men on foreign merchant ships and Sri Lankan and Pakistani
forces, and demanded stringent measures to deter those
indulging in such atrocities.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, M I Shanavas (Cong)
recalled the incident where men in an Italian merchant ship
had recently shot dead two Indian fishermen.
"The Italian men behaved just like people do while hunting
wild animals and shot two fishermen in cold blood... Stringent
measures should be taken so that such cases do not occur
again," Shanavas said.
Peethambara Kurup (Cong) insisted that those who attack
Indian fishermen should be punished.
He pointed out that the bodies of some fishermen entangled
in a net were still under sea and have not been retrieved.
Another member maintained that Pakistan has kept Indian
fishermen in their custody along with 640 boats on the ground
that they had entered international waters. He urged that the
government take up this matter.
Saidul Haque (CPI-M) said the government proposal to
provide only 4.5 per cent sub-quota for minorities was a
"gimmick" and should be increased to 10 per cent.
Nama Nageshwar Rao (TDP) said his constituency Khamam
is Naxal-hit but the funds sent by the Centre were not being
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed