Concern in LS over killing of Indian fishermen
New Delhi: Members on Wednesday expressed concern in
the Lok Sabha over the killing and arrest of Indian fishermen
by men on foreign merchant ships and Sri Lankan and Pakistani
forces, and demanded stringent measures to deter those
indulging in such atrocities.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, M I Shanavas (Cong)
recalled the incident where men in an Italian merchant ship
had recently shot dead two Indian fishermen.
"The Italian men behaved just like people do while hunting
wild animals and shot two fishermen in cold blood... Stringent
measures should be taken so that such cases do not occur
again," Shanavas said.
Peethambara Kurup (Cong) insisted that those who attack
Indian fishermen should be punished.
He pointed out that the bodies of some fishermen entangled
in a net were still under sea and have not been retrieved.
Another member maintained that Pakistan has kept Indian
fishermen in their custody along with 640 boats on the ground
that they had entered international waters. He urged that the
government take up this matter.
Saidul Haque (CPI-M) said the government proposal to
provide only 4.5 per cent sub-quota for minorities was a
"gimmick" and should be increased to 10 per cent.
Nama Nageshwar Rao (TDP) said his constituency Khamam
is Naxal-hit but the funds sent by the Centre were not being
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician