Concern in Rajya Sabha over infrastructure along China border
New Delhi: Concern was expressed in Rajya Sabha over the slow pace of infrastructure development along the border with China in Uttarakhand with some members saying it would be difficult to move troops there if a war breaks out.
Raising the issue, Mahendra Singh Mahra (Cong) said there has been a delay of 51 years in construction of a road to connect Tanakpur and Pithoragarh in Uttarakhand and expressed doubts on the capabilities of the Border Roads Organisation to build roads in the hill state.
"If a war breaks out in future, we will not be able to send troops to the border with China. China has been able to build roads at the height of 16,000 feet in Lhasa in Tibet but the BRO has not been able to build a 258-km road link in last 51 years," he said in a Special Mention.
Mahra said such long delays are bound to create doubts about the capabilities of BRO to complete projects in time.
He urged the Centre to ensure that the project to build the Tanakpur-Pithoragarh road is completed in time.
Mahra said the issue has to be taken seriously in view of the frequent incursions by the Chinese People`s Liberation Army soldiers in the state.
Through another Special Mention, Gundu Sudharani (TDP) urged the government to ensure that Hindi was taught as a language in schools of Telangana from class 1 as it helps children to learn the most widely spoken language in the Indian sub-continent and helps them to connect with other people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing