Concern in RS over murder of RTI activist
New Delhi: The issue of RTI activist Shehla
Masood`s murder in Bhopal had its echo in Rajya Sabha with a
CPI-M member demanding urgent steps for protection of
whistleblowers and expressing serious concern over their
killings in the country.
Raising the issue during the Zero Hour, Moin-ul-Hassan
(CPI-M) said the RTI activist was killed on a day when lakhs
of people in the country were out in the streets protesting
Hassan said at least 10 RTI activists were killed in
various parts of the country last year and drew the attention
of the government towards the "urgent need" to provide
security to the whistleblowers.
He said the purpose of the RTI Act will lose its relevance
if the killings of the whistleblowers continued.
Hassan said the Bhopal police was of the view that
Masood`s campaign for wild life protection and conservation
might have hurt certain sections that led to her killing.
The CPI-M member said while RTI Act was to ensure that
people have a right to information, the RTI activists are
Shehla was found shot dead inside her car in front of her
house in the Koh-e-Fiza locality in Bhopal on August 16. She
had gone on fast recently in support of Anna Hazare`s
She was also involved in other cases, including wildlife
conservation, and the issue of deaths of tigers in sanctuaries
in BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh. The Congress has demanded a CBI
probe into the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon