Concern in RS over murder of RTI activist
New Delhi: The issue of RTI activist Shehla
Masood`s murder in Bhopal had its echo in Rajya Sabha with a
CPI-M member demanding urgent steps for protection of
whistleblowers and expressing serious concern over their
killings in the country.
Raising the issue during the Zero Hour, Moin-ul-Hassan
(CPI-M) said the RTI activist was killed on a day when lakhs
of people in the country were out in the streets protesting
Hassan said at least 10 RTI activists were killed in
various parts of the country last year and drew the attention
of the government towards the "urgent need" to provide
security to the whistleblowers.
He said the purpose of the RTI Act will lose its relevance
if the killings of the whistleblowers continued.
Hassan said the Bhopal police was of the view that
Masood`s campaign for wild life protection and conservation
might have hurt certain sections that led to her killing.
The CPI-M member said while RTI Act was to ensure that
people have a right to information, the RTI activists are
Shehla was found shot dead inside her car in front of her
house in the Koh-e-Fiza locality in Bhopal on August 16. She
had gone on fast recently in support of Anna Hazare`s
She was also involved in other cases, including wildlife
conservation, and the issue of deaths of tigers in sanctuaries
in BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh. The Congress has demanded a CBI
probe into the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22