Concern in RS over murder of RTI activist
New Delhi: The issue of RTI activist Shehla
Masood`s murder in Bhopal had its echo in Rajya Sabha with a
CPI-M member demanding urgent steps for protection of
whistleblowers and expressing serious concern over their
killings in the country.
Raising the issue during the Zero Hour, Moin-ul-Hassan
(CPI-M) said the RTI activist was killed on a day when lakhs
of people in the country were out in the streets protesting
Hassan said at least 10 RTI activists were killed in
various parts of the country last year and drew the attention
of the government towards the "urgent need" to provide
security to the whistleblowers.
He said the purpose of the RTI Act will lose its relevance
if the killings of the whistleblowers continued.
Hassan said the Bhopal police was of the view that
Masood`s campaign for wild life protection and conservation
might have hurt certain sections that led to her killing.
The CPI-M member said while RTI Act was to ensure that
people have a right to information, the RTI activists are
Shehla was found shot dead inside her car in front of her
house in the Koh-e-Fiza locality in Bhopal on August 16. She
had gone on fast recently in support of Anna Hazare`s
She was also involved in other cases, including wildlife
conservation, and the issue of deaths of tigers in sanctuaries
in BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh. The Congress has demanded a CBI
probe into the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account