Concern in RS over murder of RTI activist
New Delhi: The issue of RTI activist Shehla
Masood`s murder in Bhopal had its echo in Rajya Sabha with a
CPI-M member demanding urgent steps for protection of
whistleblowers and expressing serious concern over their
killings in the country.
Raising the issue during the Zero Hour, Moin-ul-Hassan
(CPI-M) said the RTI activist was killed on a day when lakhs
of people in the country were out in the streets protesting
Hassan said at least 10 RTI activists were killed in
various parts of the country last year and drew the attention
of the government towards the "urgent need" to provide
security to the whistleblowers.
He said the purpose of the RTI Act will lose its relevance
if the killings of the whistleblowers continued.
Hassan said the Bhopal police was of the view that
Masood`s campaign for wild life protection and conservation
might have hurt certain sections that led to her killing.
The CPI-M member said while RTI Act was to ensure that
people have a right to information, the RTI activists are
Shehla was found shot dead inside her car in front of her
house in the Koh-e-Fiza locality in Bhopal on August 16. She
had gone on fast recently in support of Anna Hazare`s
She was also involved in other cases, including wildlife
conservation, and the issue of deaths of tigers in sanctuaries
in BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh. The Congress has demanded a CBI
probe into the issue.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement