Concern over China`s move to divert Brahmaputra
New Delhi: Concern was on Wednesday expressed in Rajya Sabha over China`s reported attempts to divert water from Brahmaputra River to its territory leading to water scarcity in North Eastern region including Assam.
Raising the issue during the Zero Hour Birendra Prasad Baishya (AGP) said the North Eastern Region was facing grave threat of acute water scarcity owing to river diversification projects of China.
"Diversification of Brahamaputra river water to China has very adversely affected us," Baishya who is a member from Assam said adding that the neighbouring country has resorted to it as some of its parts are facing water crisis.
Baishya rued the Centre is not taking up the issue and urged the Government to flag the matter even internationally if it requires so.
He said Brahmaputra is the "lifeline" of the region and it is a question of life and death for the entire people of the North Eastern region.
"I urge upon the Government to take up the matter seriously and urgently. If needed Government of India should take up the matter in international forum as well to stop the diversion of the water of river Brahmaputra," he said.
Tarun Vijay (BJP) sought government measures to stop atrocities on Hindus especially young women in neighbouring Pakistan.
"Young Hindu girls in Pakistan are abducted and being forced to marry after being converted into Islam as per reports by Pakistan Human Rights bodies and media," Vijay said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi