Concern over high incidence of road accidents
New Delhi: India, which recorded the
highest number of deaths in road accidents in the world in
2009, can bring down such casualties if a strict vigil is kept
against speeding, drunken driving and talking on cell phone
while driving, suggest trauma care experts here.
"Nearly 300 people die every day and more than 5,000
people are seriously injured. In India there is a vehicular
crash every three minutes and a death every six minutes," Dr B
K Rao, Chairman Sir Ganga Ram hospital, said while addressing
the 23rd International Trauma Care conference being held in
the city here.
Citing the Global Status Report on Road Safety
published by World Health Organisation, Dr S K Malhotra,
professor, department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Post
Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research,
Chandigarh said, the country recorded the maximum deaths due
to road traffic accidents last year.
"These accidents have a dramatic impact on the health
of the nation. Many patients can be saved or suffer less
disability if the time to achieve definitive care of their
injuries can be minimised," he said and rued that research in
trauma care had not attracted the desired interest so far.
"The prevention solution for a road traffic accident
is restraining speed, alcohol consumption, talking over the
mobile phone while driving. People should also wear helmets
and put on their seat belts," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’