Concern over SIM cards without verification of subscribers
New Delhi: A whopping 4.69 crore mobile subscribers in the country are using their cellphones without verified addresses and this situation can work to the advantage of terrorists, a member said in the Rajya Sabha.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Naresh Agarwal (SP) said that according to a CAG report, 4.69 crore mobile users have SIM without verified addresses.
He said there have been instances which point out that terrorists and criminals use mobile phones and now there are news items that Pakistani SIMs will also be available in India.
Noting that mobile companies issuing the SIM card are supposed to verify address of the subscribers before issuing it to them, the SP member said, "All the seven telecom companies have violated the rules...TRAI slapped a penalty of Rs 4,200 crore on them but the companies refused to pay the money."
Agarwal rued that while action is taken to realise money in other matters, the government has "done nothing" to realise the penalty from the mobile companies in this matter.
"It is dangerous. 4.69 crore mobile SIM cards have been issued without address proof...Take action against them. Addresses should be verified," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok