Concern over SIM cards without verification of subscribers
New Delhi: A whopping 4.69 crore mobile subscribers in the country are using their cellphones without verified addresses and this situation can work to the advantage of terrorists, a member said in the Rajya Sabha.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Naresh Agarwal (SP) said that according to a CAG report, 4.69 crore mobile users have SIM without verified addresses.
He said there have been instances which point out that terrorists and criminals use mobile phones and now there are news items that Pakistani SIMs will also be available in India.
Noting that mobile companies issuing the SIM card are supposed to verify address of the subscribers before issuing it to them, the SP member said, "All the seven telecom companies have violated the rules...TRAI slapped a penalty of Rs 4,200 crore on them but the companies refused to pay the money."
Agarwal rued that while action is taken to realise money in other matters, the government has "done nothing" to realise the penalty from the mobile companies in this matter.
"It is dangerous. 4.69 crore mobile SIM cards have been issued without address proof...Take action against them. Addresses should be verified," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results 2016, CBSE Class X Results 2016 to be declared on May 28; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- UPA govt, LeT worked in tandem in Ishrat Jahan case: MoS Kiren Rijiju
- Dombivli factory blast: Death toll rises to 11, company management booked
- Kazakhstan accuses protesters of trying to oust government
- Coalition warplanes pummel Islamic State in Syria bastion