Concerned India to raise Pak nuke security issue with US
Washington: A very worried and concerned India is likely to raise the issue of the security of Pakistan`s nuclear arsenal during a bilateral meeting at the Blair House between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and US President Barack Obama, on the sidelines of the two-day nuclear security summit that is being held here from Monday.
New Delhi is reportedly concerned about terrorist entities like al Qaeda and its affiliates acquiring access to Pakistan’s nuclear assets.
Officials accompanying the Prime Minister on his visit to Washington confirmed that these concerns would be flagged at the appropriate forums, as the summit technically does not allow for naming specific countries.
India, according to the officials, sees the nuclear summit as a vindication of its position that the security of nuclear materials is the key to ensuring non-proliferation and disarmament.
Officials said the Prime Minister’s meeting with Kazakh President Nursulatan Nazarbayev is being viewed as very important as Kazakhstan has been one of the leading advocates of nuclear non-proliferation since it became independent in 1991, and also for having signed important nuclear civil cooperation deals with India. There is a possibility of India seeking Kazakhstan’s support for a permanent seat in the UN Security Council.
The meeting with French President Nicholas Sarkozy is likely to focus on an upgrading its relations, of which the civil nuclear agreement forms a big part.
Singh’s meeting with his Canadian counterpart Stephen Harper will be the first after India and Canada signed a nuclear agreement a few months ago.
India is hoping to get access to Canada’s uranium for its nuclear reactors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users