Condition of Sathya Sai Baba deteriorates
Puttaparthi: The condition of ailing
Sathya Sai Baba deteriorated on Thursday with doctors saying that
all his organs were showing poor response to treatment.
"Low blood pressure and the non-functioning of liver
have become a major cause for concern.The Baba continues to be
on ventilator support," Dr A N Safaya, Director, Sri Sathya
Sai Institute of Higher Sciences, said.
The Andhra Pradesh government, which has clamped
prohibitory orders in this town and deployed additional
forces, said doctors were making efforts to save the
"The condition of the Baba has deteriorated. Most of
his organs have suffered severe damage and stopped
functioning. Doctors attending on him are making attempts to
save the Baba. Let us pray," state Revenue Minister N
Raghuveera Reddy told reporters in Hyderabad after a
high-level meeting with Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy in
State Chief Secretary S V Prasad, Director General of
Police K Aravinda Rao and Additional DGP (Intelligence) M
Mahender Reddy also attended the meeting and briefed the Chief
Minister about the security arrangements being made here in
view of the heavy influx of devotees.
Emerging from the meeting, the DGP told reporters
that they were closely monitoring the situation in
We should not create confusion unnecessarily by
mobilising additional forces.We have sent 1000 police
personnel for security in Puttaparthi and shall send more
forces when required," Aravinda Rao said.
Police sources said tight security arrangements have
been made at the airport in Puttaparthi apart from Prasanthi
Nilayam, the residence of Baba, and Satya Sai Institute of
Higher Medical Sciences where he is undergoing treatment.
Prohibitory orders were clamped here as thousands of
devotees started descending on the town with the condition of
the Baba deteriorating.
More than 2000 police officers and men have been
deployed here. State Major Industries Minister J Geeta Reddy,
Anantapur district Collector B Janardhana Reddy and Deputy
Inspector General of Police Charu Sinha, who are camping here,
reviewed the Baba`s health condition this morning with SSIHMS
They also reviewed the law and order situation and the
measures being implemented for crowd control in any
Shops in the vicinity of SSIHMS have been shut down as
a precautionary measure, a senior police officer said.
Anantapur district Superintendent of Police Shahnawaz
Qasim is personally monitoring the security arrangements.
Meanwhile, members of the Sathya Sai Central Trust
held a meeting here to discuss the Trust`s affairs in the wake
of the Baba`s deteriorating health.
Principal Secretary (Finance) L V Subrahmanyam is also
taking part in the meeting, sources said.
The Baba was admitted to the hospital on March 28
following problems related to the heart and respiration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral