Conference of DGPs, IGPs on Aug 25-26; PM to address
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will
interact with top police brass of the country at a two-day
conference here on August 25 and 26 that will deliberate on
key issues like Maoist violence, cross-border terrorism and
The annual conference of Directors General of Police and
Inspectors General of Police, organised by the Intelligence
Bureau, will discuss threadbare the spurt in Naxal violence,
activities of terror groups based across the border and the
recent violence in Jammu and Kashmir.
Apart from the Prime Minister, Home Minister P
Chidambaram and top Central officers will interact with the
DGPs and IGPs of all states.
Since April this year, nearly 200 security personnel and
scores of innocent civilians lost their lives due to the
violence perpetrated by the Naxals, whom the Prime Minister
had described as one of the biggest internal security threat.
In last two months, violent protests in Kashmir led to
repeated imposition of curfew and police action, causing loss
of civilian lives and injury to over 1,000 security personnel.
The meeting is also expected to discuss issues like
coordination among state police forces while conducting joint
operations against Maoists and other criminals, strengthening
of intelligence gathering mechanism, modernisation,
augmentation and training of forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister