Conference of DGPs, IGPs on Aug 25-26; PM to address
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will
interact with top police brass of the country at a two-day
conference here on August 25 and 26 that will deliberate on
key issues like Maoist violence, cross-border terrorism and
The annual conference of Directors General of Police and
Inspectors General of Police, organised by the Intelligence
Bureau, will discuss threadbare the spurt in Naxal violence,
activities of terror groups based across the border and the
recent violence in Jammu and Kashmir.
Apart from the Prime Minister, Home Minister P
Chidambaram and top Central officers will interact with the
DGPs and IGPs of all states.
Since April this year, nearly 200 security personnel and
scores of innocent civilians lost their lives due to the
violence perpetrated by the Naxals, whom the Prime Minister
had described as one of the biggest internal security threat.
In last two months, violent protests in Kashmir led to
repeated imposition of curfew and police action, causing loss
of civilian lives and injury to over 1,000 security personnel.
The meeting is also expected to discuss issues like
coordination among state police forces while conducting joint
operations against Maoists and other criminals, strengthening
of intelligence gathering mechanism, modernisation,
augmentation and training of forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot