Confident govt will go ahead with reforms: Chacko
New Delhi: Unfazed by the renewed protest on the FDI issue, Congress on Monday cautioned its detractors that consistent opposition to the measure will boomerang and declared that more reforms are on the anvil.
"Any attempt to further stall the process will only boomerang... UPA government was successful in getting Parliamentary stamp in getting economic reforms approved. After this stamp, a confident government will go ahead with reforms...," party spokesperson PC Chacko told reporters here.
"More reforms are on the anvil like banking and pension reforms."
Chacko said that the measure was opposed by many parties but Parliament has failed the attempt of some parties to "create instability and stall the reform process".
His remarks came on a day when Walmart lobbying issue triggered a political storm with the BJP demanding a statement from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Parliament and CPI-M and SP joining it in seeking an independent probe into the "serious allegations of bribery".
Asserting that FDI in multi-brand retail will benefit farmers in a big way by providing value addition to their produces as well as fetching them better prices, Chacko said that Congress party congratulates Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the government for the "bold stand".
"Since the late 80s, all reforms have been stoutly opposed by Left and opportunistically by the Right. It is resolve of the Congress party to implement the economic reforms. This process of reform that started from 1980s made a forward step (with FDI).
"The will of Parliament has been stated unambiguously and any attempt to stall the process will only boomerang."
The Congress spokesperson appealed to the Opposition to support the government in passing various legislations and decisions on social issues that are on the anvil.
"Obstructionist attitude should be given up and they should cooperate with the government," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!