Confrontation likely on Lokpal Bill
New Delhi: A confrontation on the Lokpal Bill
is expected to start in Parliament with the BJP demanding a
discussion tomorrow on the issue, which the government plans
to take up in the second part of the Budget Session beginning
This became clear with Parliamentary Affairs Minister
Pawan Kumar Bansal saying that the priority for the government
was to get the Vote on Account passed by March 30 and Bills
like the Lokpal Bill will be taken up in the second part.
Close on the heels of Bansal`s statement, Leader of the
Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said he would move
a motion for suspension of Question Hour in the Upper House
tomorrow for discussion on Lokpal Bill.
Discussion on the Motion of Thanks to the President for
her address to Parliament is on the agenda for tomorrow.
While the Railway Budget is scheduled for March 14,
Economic Survey will be tabled in Parliament the next day and
the General Budget will be presented on March 16.
In his customary eve-of-the-session media interaction,
Bansal said government has "very little time" for legislative
business in the first part of the session inspite of the fact
that 39 bills are listed for consideration and passing,
including the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Bill, which has been
approved by the Lok Sabha.
The minister said that nearly 200 amendments to Bill
moved in the Upper House in the previous session had lapsed
after it was prorogued and members have started giving
"One member has moved some amendments. I believe some
others may also do so. Even the government will have to move
amendments afresh. These will have to be examined before
taking them up for discussion," Bansal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested