`Cong attacking institutions working for people`
Ranchi: Senior BJP leader Murli Manohar
Joshi on Saturday charged the Centre with attacking constitutional
institutions working in the interest of the people and said it
was harmful for the nation.
"It is the duty and responsibility of the Comptroller
and Auditor General of India and the Public Accounts Committee
to protect public money and its proper utilization.
Unfortunately, Congress is attacking both the institutions.
This is harmful for the nation," Joshi told a news conference
Accusing the Congress leadership of trying to suppress
investigations into the series of scams that surfaced during
the UPA government, Joshi said that he was surprised at Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh`s assertion that the CAG had never
convened a press conference in the past.
"CAG has always issued press statements on its reports
after placing the same in Parliament. Even a High Court has
said there is no wrong in CAG going to the press. But the
importance of this CAG press conference was its disclosure of
an estimated Rs 1.76 lakh crore scam.
"As CAG had termed it as an estimated amount, Telecom
Minister Kapil Sibal should have investigated the matter to
find out the exact amount, but he claimed there had been no
loss," he said.
Joshi demands PC’s removal
Meanwhile, amid reports of Cabinet reshuffle,
Joshi demanded that Home
Minister P Chidambaram be removed from his ministry claiming
he faced varying allegations.
"Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa raised an
election scam against him. He was the Finance Minister during
2G Spectrum scam and he is Home Minister when the
controversial wrong list (of terrorists) was submitted to
Pakistan. He should not be in the Cabinet following all these
serious charges against him," Joshi told the news conference.
Chidambaram recently reacted to Jayalalithaa
questioning his election from Shivaganga Lok Sabha seat,
saying the matter was pending before the court and that such
statements amounted to gross contempt of court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh