`Cong attacking institutions working for people`
Ranchi: Senior BJP leader Murli Manohar
Joshi on Saturday charged the Centre with attacking constitutional
institutions working in the interest of the people and said it
was harmful for the nation.
"It is the duty and responsibility of the Comptroller
and Auditor General of India and the Public Accounts Committee
to protect public money and its proper utilization.
Unfortunately, Congress is attacking both the institutions.
This is harmful for the nation," Joshi told a news conference
Accusing the Congress leadership of trying to suppress
investigations into the series of scams that surfaced during
the UPA government, Joshi said that he was surprised at Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh`s assertion that the CAG had never
convened a press conference in the past.
"CAG has always issued press statements on its reports
after placing the same in Parliament. Even a High Court has
said there is no wrong in CAG going to the press. But the
importance of this CAG press conference was its disclosure of
an estimated Rs 1.76 lakh crore scam.
"As CAG had termed it as an estimated amount, Telecom
Minister Kapil Sibal should have investigated the matter to
find out the exact amount, but he claimed there had been no
loss," he said.
Joshi demands PC’s removal
Meanwhile, amid reports of Cabinet reshuffle,
Joshi demanded that Home
Minister P Chidambaram be removed from his ministry claiming
he faced varying allegations.
"Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa raised an
election scam against him. He was the Finance Minister during
2G Spectrum scam and he is Home Minister when the
controversial wrong list (of terrorists) was submitted to
Pakistan. He should not be in the Cabinet following all these
serious charges against him," Joshi told the news conference.
Chidambaram recently reacted to Jayalalithaa
questioning his election from Shivaganga Lok Sabha seat,
saying the matter was pending before the court and that such
statements amounted to gross contempt of court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India