`Cong attacking institutions working for people`
Ranchi: Senior BJP leader Murli Manohar
Joshi on Saturday charged the Centre with attacking constitutional
institutions working in the interest of the people and said it
was harmful for the nation.
"It is the duty and responsibility of the Comptroller
and Auditor General of India and the Public Accounts Committee
to protect public money and its proper utilization.
Unfortunately, Congress is attacking both the institutions.
This is harmful for the nation," Joshi told a news conference
Accusing the Congress leadership of trying to suppress
investigations into the series of scams that surfaced during
the UPA government, Joshi said that he was surprised at Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh`s assertion that the CAG had never
convened a press conference in the past.
"CAG has always issued press statements on its reports
after placing the same in Parliament. Even a High Court has
said there is no wrong in CAG going to the press. But the
importance of this CAG press conference was its disclosure of
an estimated Rs 1.76 lakh crore scam.
"As CAG had termed it as an estimated amount, Telecom
Minister Kapil Sibal should have investigated the matter to
find out the exact amount, but he claimed there had been no
loss," he said.
Joshi demands PC’s removal
Meanwhile, amid reports of Cabinet reshuffle,
Joshi demanded that Home
Minister P Chidambaram be removed from his ministry claiming
he faced varying allegations.
"Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa raised an
election scam against him. He was the Finance Minister during
2G Spectrum scam and he is Home Minister when the
controversial wrong list (of terrorists) was submitted to
Pakistan. He should not be in the Cabinet following all these
serious charges against him," Joshi told the news conference.
Chidambaram recently reacted to Jayalalithaa
questioning his election from Shivaganga Lok Sabha seat,
saying the matter was pending before the court and that such
statements amounted to gross contempt of court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional