Cong attacks BJP over Nigamananda`s death
New Delhi/Dehra Dun: The death of Swami
Nigamananda during his fast against alleged corruption in
BJP-ruled Uttarakhand provided ammunition to Congress on Tuesday to
take on the opposition party for not backing his cause in the
manner it did for anti-graft crusaders Ramdev and Anna Hazare.
BJP in turn accused Congress of playing "politics" over
the seer`s death.
Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh held Uttarakhand
Government responsible for the death of the 36-year-old seer
of Haridwar-based Matri Sadan Ashram yesterday and threatened
to take action against the mining mafia against whom he was
fighting. The seer was on fast against quarrying in Ganges and
"In view of the fact that the State Government has
demonstrated a continued reluctance to take action against
illegal mining, I think, we will have no option but to invoke
Section 5 of the Environment Protection Act and take action on
our own," the Minister said responding to volley of questions
about the death of the seer after his nearly four-month fast.
AICC general secretary Janardan Dwivedi said it was
"very unfortunate and saddening" that the Chief Minister
of a party(Ramesh Pokhriyal) which does not stop swearing in
the name of Ganga and Ram, was busy paying his attention to
the other "political game" but did not take notice of
He described the seer as a person who was agitating
for saving Ganges river and checking illegal mining with firm
determination and in a spirit of "true Satyagrah".
"Nigamananda was being treated in the same hospital in
which Ramdev was admitted. The state government has all the
information but it did not pay attention to the former," the
Congress leader said.
Accusing Congress of politicising the death of Swami
Nigamanand, BJP spokesman Ravi Shankar Prasad said no party
leader went to see him when he was in hospital.
"When Swami Nigamanand was admitted in the hospital, no
Congress leader went to see him but now it has started
politics over his death," Prasad said in Dehra Dun.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?