Cong backs govt decision on SC/ST vacancies
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday saw nothing wrong
in the Union Cabinet`s decision to fill pending vacancies of
SC and ST in the central government in the midst of assembly
elections in five states.
"Congress never takes any decision with an eye on
elections but with the welfare of the people in mind. In a
democracy, some election process is always going on," party
spokesman Rashid Alvi told reporters.
He was asked whether the cabinet move to clear a proposal
to fill the vacancies of Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe in
the central government was proper in view of the assembly
polls. The move is expected to benefit around 50,000 people.
When pointed out that the proposal was hanging fire for
the last two and a half years, he said, "Whenever some good
decision is taken, it should be praised and not commented upon
The proposal, discussed and approved in the Cabinet
meeting held here this morning, comes soon after the
government decision to allow 4.5 per cent reservation
to the minorities within the OBC quota.
Alvi dismissed as "absolutely wrong" the reported remarks
of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi that the minority
reservation in OBC category could be raised up to eight per
cent from the 4.5 per cent decided by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room