Cong backs govt decision on SC/ST vacancies
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday saw nothing wrong
in the Union Cabinet`s decision to fill pending vacancies of
SC and ST in the central government in the midst of assembly
elections in five states.
"Congress never takes any decision with an eye on
elections but with the welfare of the people in mind. In a
democracy, some election process is always going on," party
spokesman Rashid Alvi told reporters.
He was asked whether the cabinet move to clear a proposal
to fill the vacancies of Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe in
the central government was proper in view of the assembly
polls. The move is expected to benefit around 50,000 people.
When pointed out that the proposal was hanging fire for
the last two and a half years, he said, "Whenever some good
decision is taken, it should be praised and not commented upon
The proposal, discussed and approved in the Cabinet
meeting held here this morning, comes soon after the
government decision to allow 4.5 per cent reservation
to the minorities within the OBC quota.
Alvi dismissed as "absolutely wrong" the reported remarks
of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi that the minority
reservation in OBC category could be raised up to eight per
cent from the 4.5 per cent decided by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding