Cong bankrupt on ideas: BJP on Renuka jibe at Advani speech
New Delhi: A light-hearted comment by a Congress spokesperson on Wednesday on LK Advani`s speech at the UN praising MNREGA programme apparently did not go down well with the BJP which charged the ruling party with going "bankrupt on ideas" and not understanding protocol.
Asked about Advani`s speech, Renuka Chowdhury said in a lighter vein, "Advani is perhaps trying to convince the BJP. His view point is different from the BJP. If Advani is saying this today it is good."
The BJP apparently was not pleased with this jibe and took on the Congress leader.
"It is unfortunate that the Congress has said this. It has gone bankrupt on ideas and does not understand protocol and decency. Advani is representing India at the UN. He has made a point about good schemes here. We may have differences here but abroad one praises what the country has gone ahead with," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.
The Opposition party maintained that it is not opposed to the idea of job guarantee as done under MNREGA but has issues with its implementation.
"We have even asked for job guarantees to the city population but it should create economic assets. A similar scheme in Maharashtra way back in 1972 had led to building of check dams and water bodies. We want more coverage, more inclusion and more man-days of work under MNREGA," Javadekar said.
The BJP MP emphasised that his party is critical of the "loot and corruption taking place under MNREGA and not the scheme per se".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt