Cong calls snooping inquiry `Modi Bachao Commission`
New Delhi: Dismissing the probe ordered by Gujarat government into the snoopgate as Narendra "Modi Bachao Commission", Congress today alleged that it is a concerted attempt to hoodwink the people.
Party spokesman Randip Singh Surjewala and Mahila Congress chief Shobha Oza insisted that the Commission of Inquiry constituted by the Modi administration was a "shoddy coverup job".
Surjewala said that the constitution of the "Modi Bachao Commission" (Save Modi Commission) was a "panic reaction" and it is "nothing more than a concerted attempt to hoodwink people...A desperate attempt to bury truth".
Raising several questions, he wondered, "Can a Commission of Inquiry constituted by the same Chief Minister and his government can remotely or possibly just fashion examine conduct of the Chief Minister?
He also alleged that the "intent and purpose" of setting up of the probe was to "brush the whole issue under carpet, to buy time so it fades from public memoray and is an eyewash".
Poking holes in the terms of reference of the Commission, he said that "it was obliged to consider only the issue of security of the girl who was snooped day in and day out in flagrant violation of human rights."
Party leaders said that Modi was forced to constitute the Commission in a move to buy time when the matter is expected to come up before the Supreme Court next week.
"Credibility of the Commission is itself circumspect by the people appointed to it," he said, giving the background of the two members of the probe who, he claimed, have always helped the Chief Minister.
Congress leaders have been maintaining that nothing short of an inquiry by a Supreme Court judge will do in the matter.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!