Cong candidate list for RS, legislative council polls by June 1
New Delhi: With elections to Rajya Sabha and
Legislative Councils in several states scheduled next month,
Congress is likely to announce its list of candidates by June
Party President Sonia Gandhi today held consultations with
the AICC General Secretaries, PCC Presidents and CLP leaders
to discuss the names and shortlist them.
While the probable candidates from Maharashtra and Andhra
Pradesh were discussed earlier, the remaining states where the
elections are scheduled were taken up today.
These included Punjab, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand,
Gujarat and Karnataka.
"Discussion on names of the party candidates have been
held. They will be announced shortly," a senior leader said.
Union Ministers Ambika Soni and Jairam Ramesh are expected
to be renominated from Punjab and Andhra Pradesh respectively
while another minister Anand Sharma`s nomination could be from
Haryana or Rajasthan.
Other names being discussed in party circles include Rajni
Patil, Avinash Pandey, Balasaheb Vikhe Patil from Maharashtra,
Oscar Fernandes and B K Hariprasad from Karnataka, and Renuka
Chaudhary and J D Seelam from Andhra Pradesh.
Hectic lobbying is on by leaders from several states for
the Rajya Sabha and Legislative Council nominations and in
Maharashtra alone, there have been 24 applications for two
seats of the Rajya Sabha which the party is sure to win.
Similarly, there have been 129 applications for four of
the ten seats in the Legislative Council which the Congress is
expected to win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre