Cong candidate list for RS, legislative council polls by June 1
New Delhi: With elections to Rajya Sabha and
Legislative Councils in several states scheduled next month,
Congress is likely to announce its list of candidates by June
Party President Sonia Gandhi today held consultations with
the AICC General Secretaries, PCC Presidents and CLP leaders
to discuss the names and shortlist them.
While the probable candidates from Maharashtra and Andhra
Pradesh were discussed earlier, the remaining states where the
elections are scheduled were taken up today.
These included Punjab, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand,
Gujarat and Karnataka.
"Discussion on names of the party candidates have been
held. They will be announced shortly," a senior leader said.
Union Ministers Ambika Soni and Jairam Ramesh are expected
to be renominated from Punjab and Andhra Pradesh respectively
while another minister Anand Sharma`s nomination could be from
Haryana or Rajasthan.
Other names being discussed in party circles include Rajni
Patil, Avinash Pandey, Balasaheb Vikhe Patil from Maharashtra,
Oscar Fernandes and B K Hariprasad from Karnataka, and Renuka
Chaudhary and J D Seelam from Andhra Pradesh.
Hectic lobbying is on by leaders from several states for
the Rajya Sabha and Legislative Council nominations and in
Maharashtra alone, there have been 24 applications for two
seats of the Rajya Sabha which the party is sure to win.
Similarly, there have been 129 applications for four of
the ten seats in the Legislative Council which the Congress is
expected to win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM