Cong constitutes high-level committees for poll-related work
New Delhi: With Assembly elections in Maharashtra and Haryana fast approaching, Congress on Saturday constituted two high-level committees to coordinate poll related work.
While the panel for Maharashtra will be headed by senior leader A K Antony, who is in-charge of party affairs for the state, the one for Haryana will be led by AICC General Secretary Prithviraj Chavan, who looks after the party`s affairs there.
Other members in the Maharashtra panel are AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh and Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman K Rahman Khan.
AICC secretaries Mohan Prakash and Praveen Rashtrapal will also be members of the panel, which is expected to assess the ground situation and poll preparedness of the party.
The Haryana committee will have AICC General Secretary BK Hariprasad and Punjab PCC Working President Mohinder Singh Kaypee as its members.
The announcement was made by the party`s media department chief Janardan Dwivedi.
While Congress is in power in Maharashtra for the last 10 years in alliance with NCP, the party has been ruling Haryana for the past five years and dealt a crushing defeat to opposition parties in the recent Lok Sabha elections.
Elections in Maharashtra are due by October, while those for Haryana are due by February, but may be advanced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them