Cong counters Time magazine`s "underachiever" remark against PM
New Delhi: Congress on Sunday countered the "underachiever" remark against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh made on the cover of TIME magazine`s Asia edition saying what the UPA has achieved under his leadership is by no stretch of imagination "under achievement".
"In the past eight years the UPA government headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has provided political stability, social harmony, internal cohesion, economic growth and a greater role in global affairs. This by no stretch of imagination is under achievement," party spokesperson Manish Tewari said.
His remarks came in response to questions on the TIME magazine`s Asia edition featuring 79-year-old Singh on its cover, whose title, with his portrait in the background, reads `The Underachiever - India needs a reboot`.
The issue of the magazine, which will be out next week, says Singh appears "unwilling to stick his neck out" on reforms that will put the country back on growth path.
Taking potshots at the Prime Minister on the issue, oppsoition BJP pointed out a "sharp contrast" between the way the Time looked upon Singh and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, who was also featured in the magazine some time back.
"While a story on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was that he meant business and gave a message of prosperity, security, infrastructure development and progress to the country specially people of Gujarat, the other Indian who has been featured is Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is giving a message of despair, disillusionment, corruption, leaderless economy and downslide of Indian rupee," said BJP leader Tarun Vijay.
However, the Congress spokesperson refused to comment on the comparison being made by the BJP between the two descriptions.
A Congress leader speaking on the condition of anonymity, however, tersely said, "We have no intention of comparing Manmohan Singh and Narendra Modi."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days