Cong dares BJP for public debate on Coalgate
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday dared BJP for a debate in a public forum on the coal controversy saying it will expose who got his face blackened but refrained from coming to the defence of party MPs, who are facing the heat for alleged irregularities in coal block allocation.
"We are ready to discuss it in any public forum. Let BJP come forward if it has confidence. We can debate in any public forum and the truth will come out. People of the country will decide whose faces are blackened with coal," Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari told reporters here.
He, at the same time, refused to come to the defence of individual leaders of the party when asked about controversies involving party MPs Naveen Jindal, Vijay Darda and former minister Santosh Bagrodia over the coal block allocations.
"If there is a question related to anyone`s business, it can be better answered by the person concerned himself," he said.
Tewari appeared dismissive of reports that one of the coal allottees Manoj Jaiswal has in one document referred to "one Jaiswal of Kanpur" as the person who will settle disputes if any among partners.
"Whether there is only one Jaiswal, who is living in Kanpur or there are many Jaiswals living there, it can be better answered through the census book.
"But the larger question is that a bundle of lies is being doled out. My question is whether any new coal block was allocated after 2008 (after Sriprakash Jaiswal became Chief Minister). Baseless allegations are being levelled," he said.
Tewari said that since the BJP is facing tough questions by people for the washout of the Monsoon session, it is resorting to these allegations to divert attention.
"If the BJP was so confident of its facts, why did it run away from a debate in Parliament. They knew a debate would expose them," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS