Cong demands statement on MLA`s hunger strike
Mumbai: Congress members in Maharashtra Legislative Assembly day stalled the proceedings of the House and demanded immediate statement from the government on hunger strike by party legislator Kailash Gorantayal.
Kailash, an MLA from Jalna district, is on hunger strike for last five days, demanding the restoration of water connections in his constituency.
Congress MLAs Vijay Waddetiwar, Sunil Kedar, Gopaldas Agarwal and others rushed to the well of the House when the House was debating on the calling attention notice regarding spate of accidents on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
While disrupting the debate, MLAs demanded the government to make a statement immediately on their colleague`s hunger strike.
"This is the fifth day of his fast and the government should take steps to ensure the water connection is restored and end the fast," they said adding that the House will not be allowed to function till the government makes a statement on this issue.
Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse described the issue as serious.
"It is a sad commentary on the affairs of the government that a ruling party MLA has to go on a fast to demand water for his constituency," he said asking the chair to intervene in the matter and summon Chief Minister in his chamber to sort out the matter.
Deputy Speaker Vasant Purke adjourned the House for ten minutes.
After it re-assembled, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, who is also the power minister said instructions will be given to restore the electricity connections where it had been disconnected so that water supply is resumed in Jalna.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know