Cong demands statement on MLA`s hunger strike
Mumbai: Congress members in Maharashtra Legislative Assembly day stalled the proceedings of the House and demanded immediate statement from the government on hunger strike by party legislator Kailash Gorantayal.
Kailash, an MLA from Jalna district, is on hunger strike for last five days, demanding the restoration of water connections in his constituency.
Congress MLAs Vijay Waddetiwar, Sunil Kedar, Gopaldas Agarwal and others rushed to the well of the House when the House was debating on the calling attention notice regarding spate of accidents on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
While disrupting the debate, MLAs demanded the government to make a statement immediately on their colleague`s hunger strike.
"This is the fifth day of his fast and the government should take steps to ensure the water connection is restored and end the fast," they said adding that the House will not be allowed to function till the government makes a statement on this issue.
Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse described the issue as serious.
"It is a sad commentary on the affairs of the government that a ruling party MLA has to go on a fast to demand water for his constituency," he said asking the chair to intervene in the matter and summon Chief Minister in his chamber to sort out the matter.
Deputy Speaker Vasant Purke adjourned the House for ten minutes.
After it re-assembled, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, who is also the power minister said instructions will be given to restore the electricity connections where it had been disconnected so that water supply is resumed in Jalna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore