Cong disapproves of Shinde`s extending stay in US
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday disapproved of Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde extending his stay in the United States even as the security appratus back home grapples with the fall out of the deadly Maoist attack on party leaders in Chhattisgarh.
"No tour could be important" at this juncture, party spokesman Bhaktacharan Das told reporters replying to a volley of questions whether it was proper for Shinde to be away in the U S in the wake of such a situation at home.
At the same time, Das said there was no need to make the absence of the Home Minister a political issue as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had himself visited Chhattisgarh after the incident and Minister of state for Home R P N Singh was at hand with "full powers".
Reports had it that Shinde, who left New Delhi on May 19 to attend the Indo-US Homeland Security dialogue, is not cutting short his visit and will return home tomorrow as scheduled.
Except Shinde, all other members of the Indian delegation, who went to the US to take part the May 20-22 bilateral meetings, have returned home.
The Home Minister stayed back in the US after May 22 for private purposes and there was no official engagements to attend.
The Home Minister had said on Sunday that he had spoken to Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh and announced the handing over the probe into Saturday`s incident to NIA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof