Cong dismisses Jethmalani`s allegation against Pat
New Delhi: Congress on Monday dismissed the allegation by Rajya Sabha MP Amar Singh`s counsel Ram Jethmalani that senior Congress leader Ahmed Patel was the
source of the money in the 2008 cash-for-vote scam.
"We have nothing to do with it. We were secure. We had
no such insecurity. It will have to be looked into as to who
had the insecurity. We decided to take the challenge of vote
of confidence. We were not going to start cash for vote in the
midst of the process after all," party spokesperson Renuka
Chaudhary told reporters at the AICC briefing.
She was replying to questions on Amar Singh`s counsel
Jethmalani today making a U-turn before a Delhi Court and
claiming that Congress leader Ahmed Patel was the source of
the money allegedly given to three BJP MPs as bribe ahead of
the trust vote by UPA government in 2008.
Asked whether she feels that Amar Singh was responsible
for the scam, Chaudhary snapped, "I am not the judge."
Asked who, if not the UPA government, benefited from the
cash for vote episode, Chaudhary quipped, "I do not know
who benefited. The country hopefully benefited."
She also ridiculed Jethmalani`s submission in the court,
recalling that he had put the blame for the scam on BJP a few
"Wait for three more days. Something else will come out,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17