Cong disowns Alvi’s ‘Mulayam is BJP agent’ rant
New Delhi: With the Samajwadi Party making its displeasure clear, the Congress party on Thursday publicly dissociated itself from party leader Rashid Alvi’s comment describing Mulayam Singh Yadav as the "biggest agent of the BJP".
"Party does not approve of this....The Congress has always been in favour of uniting all secular forces," AICC General Secretary Janardhan Dwivedi said.
Congress spokesperson Alvi, whiles addressing a public meeting in Moradabad yesterday had said, "I don`t know if you would like it or not but I have been saying it for the last 10 years that if there is anybody who is the biggest agent of BJP, it is Mulayam Singh Yadav. If anybody dances to the tunes of BJP, it is Mulayam Singh Yadav.”
His comments elicited a sharp response from the Samajwadi party. Party leader and Rajya Sabha MP, Shahid Siddiqui demanded that Alvi should apologise for his comments and the Congress should take action against him.
Siddiqui said that Alvi should clarify whether he had the permission of the Congress’s high command in making such a charge against the SP supremo.
He further said that Alvi seems to be frustrated after Muslims of Uttar Pradesh rejected him. Siddiqui said that Alvi can’t even win a corporation election – Alvi had made the comments during an election campaign meeting for Moradabad municipal polls.
Meanwhile, Alvi has clarified his statement – supposedly after a rap on the knuckles by the Congress leadership. Alvi said that Janardhan Dwivedi has clarified on behalf of the party and that is the party line.
Downplaying the comment, Alvi said the comments were made at a public meeting at a time when municipal elections are on in the state and all political parties are attacking each other.
"It is election time in the state in which parties are making allegations against each other; SP is also making allegations against us. Elections are going on. The remarks were made at a public meeting. There is not much between the lines to be read," he said.
However, it remains to be seen whether the SP top brass would be satisfied with Alvi’s clarification.
Till then the remarks remain potent enough to spark tensions between the two parties at a critical juncture when Mulayam Singh Yadav has extended support to the UPA Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know