Cong downplays EC censure of Salman Khurshid
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday night downplayed the
Election Commission`s censure of Union Minister for Law and
Minority Affairs Salman Khurshid for violation of model code
of conduct by his remarks on sub-quota for minorities during
electioneering in Uttar Pradesh.
"Salman Khurshid has said something. Election Commission
has commented on it. The matter is closed", party General
Secretary Janardan Dwivedi said.
Khurshid, while campaigning for his wife Louise, a
Congress candidate from Farrukhabad assembly constituency in
Uttar Pradesh, had promised the electorate last month that the
party would increase the sub-quota for minorities to nine per
cent, out of the 27 per cent Other Backward Classes (OBC)
The EC found the remarks to be a violation of the model
code of conduct for U P Assembly elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi