Cong downplays President’s remarks on farm loan waiver
New Delhi: The Congress on Tuesday downplayed the
claim that President Pratibha Patil was behind the
government`s ambitious farm loan waiver scheme, saying inputs
for it had come from diverse quarters.
Party spokesman Abhishek Manu Singhvi was commenting on
a remark by the Secretary to the President Christy Fernandes
that Patil had given advice to the government for initiating
appropriate mechanism by which the plight of the farmers could
be addressed. Congress has maintained that the scheme was its
Fernandes, who had made the observation in the presence
of Patil, had said not many people know that it was the
President who spearheaded and gave advice to the government
that it must have appropriate mechanism by which the plight of
the farmers could be addressed and that resulted in the
massive loan waiver programme of the previous government.
Singhvi said, "The comments are being misinterpreted.
Broad issues of public interest like farm loan waiver have
inputs from diverse quarters. All inputs together form the
Crediting the scheme to Congress president Sonia
Gandhi, secretary, AICC media department, Tom Vadakkan said,
"It is Mrs Gandhi and Mrs Gandhi herself (who is) behind the
whole farmers` strengthening process that has been launched by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing