Cong downplays Supreme Court questioning CBI for delay
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday downplayed the issue of the Supreme Court questioning the CBI for delay in filing appeal against the Allahabad High Court order that conspiracy charge will not apply to BJP leader L K Advani and others in the Babri Masjid demolition case.
Party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary said that a number of cases are pending before courts, whose disposal take years and the Supreme Court "knows why the cases are delayed".
"We look at the Supreme Court with great respect... But a number of complaints come to me as well that cases are pending before courts for five years, ten years. They have so many pending cases before them. The Supreme Court is aware why the cases are delayed," Chowdhary said.
A Supreme Court bench headed by Justice H L Dattu earlier directed that an affidavit be filed within two weeks by a senior law officer of the central government after noting that the delay of 167 days was caused because of a law officer.
The apex court was hearing CBI`s appeal challenging the verdicts of a special CBI court and the Allahabad High Court dropping conspiracy charge against Advani, Kalyan Singh, Uma Bharti, Vinay Katiyar and Murli Manohar Joshi.
The others against whom the charge was dropped included Satish Pradhan, C R Bansal, Ashok Singhal, Giriraj Kishore, Sadhvi Ritambhara, V H Dalmia, Mahant Avaidhynath, R V Vedanti, Param Hans Ram Chandra Das, Jagdish Muni Maharaj, B L Sharma, Nritya Gopal Das, Dharam Das, Satish Nagar and Moreshwar Save.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Beat that! Egyptian women are world leaders in assaulting husbands
- Mamata condoles Mahasweta Devi's passing
- Pope Francis falls in Poland, escapes injury
- Xiaomi Redmi Pro with dual rear cameras, OLED display, 128GB memory launched
- UNBELIEVABLE BUT TRUE: In this Pakistani town, guns are cheaper than smartphones!