Cong finalises road map for Bellary Chalo Padayatra
Bangalore: Congress in Karnataka today
finalised the roadmap of its `Bellary Chalo Padayatra` to
highlight the illegal mining issue in the state and step up
its campaign against the BJP government.
The yatra would cover five districts and 320 km,
Karnataka PCC president R V Deshpande told reporters here
after a meeting attended by Congress` present and former
legislators, district presidents and party office bearers.
Starting from here, the yatra would pass through the
districts of Bangalore Urban and Rural, Tumkur, Chitradurga
and Bellary covering the distance in 15 days -- 20 km each
day. At the culmination in Bellary, the party would organise a
The party would organise roadside meetings and public
rallies along the way, he said, adding that the exact date of
commencement of the yatra would be finalised shortly.
Deshpande said the illegal iron ore extraction and
exports scam would top Rs 50,000 crore to Rs 60,000 crore if
one were to take into account the quantity supplied to
domestic firms also.
Bellary is the home district of Revenue Minister G
Karunakara Reddy and his brother and Tourism Minister G
Janardhana Reddy -- who have been targetted by the Congress
and JDS -- and their strong-hold.
The Reddy brothers are facing allegations of illegal
mining and the Congress has slammed the BJP government for
"avoiding" a CBI probe into the issue.
Reacting to Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa`s "clean chit"
to Reddy brothers, Congress spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi said
in Delhi though the announcement was shocking, it did not
spring any surprise.
"You are avoiding the CBI inquiry and what you do, you
first start shooting the messenger, ignore the message and
then give a clean chit (to Reddy brothers)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'