Cong flays BJP on demand of abolition of Art 370
Jammu: Criticising BJP over its demand for abrogation of Article 370 of the Constitution, which provides special status to the Jammu and Kashmir, Congress on Tuesday said the saffron party should have removed the Article when it was in power.
"Why did they not remove Article 370 when they were in power in the Centre? When BJP top leadership talks about removal of the Article, why are they silent on Article 371, which is applicable in some border areas of the country," the member of Congress Working Committee Satayavrat Chaturvedi said.
Taking a dig at BJP for raking this issue, Pradesh Congress Committee President Saifuddin Soz said, "This Article has been given by the Constitution of India and Congress is safeguarding it".
Meanwhile, Congress leaders staged a sit-in outside party headquarters in Srinagar to protest against the BJP`s demand.
The activists, led by district president Srinagar Abdul Gani Khan also burnt an effigy of BJP leaders and shouted anti-BJP slogans.
"BJP is talking about abrogation of article 370. It is condemnable and our party will not allow such a nefarious design to succeed," Khan told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- BJP-led NDA completes 2 years in offfice: What Arvind Kejriwal thinks of Narendra Modi
- Clash between two communities in UP's Shamli; sharp-edged weapons and firearms used, 9 injured
- Two years of Modi government: Key tasks yet to be fulfilled!
- Defiant Russia name dope-tainted Maria Sharapova in 2016 Rio Olympics tennis squad
- Sensex zooms 485 points to 7-month high; Nifty recaptures 8,000-mark