Cong flays BJP on demand of abolition of Art 370
Jammu: Criticising BJP over its demand for abrogation of Article 370 of the Constitution, which provides special status to the Jammu and Kashmir, Congress on Tuesday said the saffron party should have removed the Article when it was in power.
"Why did they not remove Article 370 when they were in power in the Centre? When BJP top leadership talks about removal of the Article, why are they silent on Article 371, which is applicable in some border areas of the country," the member of Congress Working Committee Satayavrat Chaturvedi said.
Taking a dig at BJP for raking this issue, Pradesh Congress Committee President Saifuddin Soz said, "This Article has been given by the Constitution of India and Congress is safeguarding it".
Meanwhile, Congress leaders staged a sit-in outside party headquarters in Srinagar to protest against the BJP`s demand.
The activists, led by district president Srinagar Abdul Gani Khan also burnt an effigy of BJP leaders and shouted anti-BJP slogans.
"BJP is talking about abrogation of article 370. It is condemnable and our party will not allow such a nefarious design to succeed," Khan told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state