Cong flays BJP on demand of abolition of Art 370
Jammu: Criticising BJP over its demand for abrogation of Article 370 of the Constitution, which provides special status to the Jammu and Kashmir, Congress on Tuesday said the saffron party should have removed the Article when it was in power.
"Why did they not remove Article 370 when they were in power in the Centre? When BJP top leadership talks about removal of the Article, why are they silent on Article 371, which is applicable in some border areas of the country," the member of Congress Working Committee Satayavrat Chaturvedi said.
Taking a dig at BJP for raking this issue, Pradesh Congress Committee President Saifuddin Soz said, "This Article has been given by the Constitution of India and Congress is safeguarding it".
Meanwhile, Congress leaders staged a sit-in outside party headquarters in Srinagar to protest against the BJP`s demand.
The activists, led by district president Srinagar Abdul Gani Khan also burnt an effigy of BJP leaders and shouted anti-BJP slogans.
"BJP is talking about abrogation of article 370. It is condemnable and our party will not allow such a nefarious design to succeed," Khan told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday