Cong flays BJP on demand of abolition of Art 370
Jammu: Criticising BJP over its demand for abrogation of Article 370 of the Constitution, which provides special status to the Jammu and Kashmir, Congress on Tuesday said the saffron party should have removed the Article when it was in power.
"Why did they not remove Article 370 when they were in power in the Centre? When BJP top leadership talks about removal of the Article, why are they silent on Article 371, which is applicable in some border areas of the country," the member of Congress Working Committee Satayavrat Chaturvedi said.
Taking a dig at BJP for raking this issue, Pradesh Congress Committee President Saifuddin Soz said, "This Article has been given by the Constitution of India and Congress is safeguarding it".
Meanwhile, Congress leaders staged a sit-in outside party headquarters in Srinagar to protest against the BJP`s demand.
The activists, led by district president Srinagar Abdul Gani Khan also burnt an effigy of BJP leaders and shouted anti-BJP slogans.
"BJP is talking about abrogation of article 370. It is condemnable and our party will not allow such a nefarious design to succeed," Khan told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'