Cong flays Sushma`s ‘heads-for-head’ remarks
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday criticized BJP leader Sushma Swaraj`s "heads-for-head" remarks saying "it is not proper to do politics on such a sensitive issue.
Asked to comment on Swaraj`s remarks yesterday that India should get at least ten heads from the other side if Pakistan does not return the head of martyred soldier Hemraj, Congress spokesman Rashid Alvi said while there is no doubt that India will "it is not proper to give this kind of statement or to do politics on the issue in this manner".
He said her statement was "inappropriate" and BJP should "not do politics" on such a senstitive issue.
Alvi`s remarks to reporters here came on a day when While Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari cautioned against "jingoism" on the issue.
Alvi sidestepped questions on whether it visualises the repeat of a Kargil-like conflict in the wake of the beheading of an Indian soldier
"No one can say what will happen in future. We are ready to face all kinds of situations. We do not want war and want friendship," he said responding to a question on whether Congress is bracing for a Kargil-like situation that was witnessed during NDA rule in 1999.
Asked about Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s statement that there cannot be business as usual with Pakistan after this barbaric act of beheading the Indian soldier and those responsible for this crime (of mutilating soldiers` bodies) will have to be brought to book, Alvi said government is keeping a watch on the borders and the prevailing situation and will take a decsision after examining all aspects.
The Congress spokesperson, however, refused to speak on the internal trouble in Pakistan saying it was their internal matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened