Cong fomenting disaffection in Gujarat cops: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday accused Congress of
targeting the Narendra Modi government in Gujarat by bringing
"rancour and disaffection" among police officers as it has
"failed" to win the hearts of the people of the state and was
fast losing hold over its "vote-bank" comprising minorities.
BJP`s comments have come against the backdrop of
criticism of the charge sheet against police officer Rahul
Sharma by Modi government. Sharma is said to be one of the
whistle-blowers of the 2002 Gujarat riots.
"The timing of raising these issues is interesting-
Gujarat assembly elections in 2012. Hence, they indulge in
Modi-baiting and BJP bashing. Congress` motive is to bring
rancour and disaffection among officers by attributing
baseless motives to what is entirely a disciplinary matter
being inquired into through established process of law," BJP
spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
She attacked Home Minister P Chidambaram and some NGOs
which were "supporting" officers like Sanjiv Bhatt, Sharma and
Rajnish Rai who had spoken against the Modi government.
"BJP condemns the statement made yesterday by the Home
Minister in the matter relating to the three erring officers
in Gujarat. He gave an open, crisp and clear suggestion to the
officers accused of indiscipline to seek the Congress-led
central government`s help," Sitharaman said.
She attributed this to Congress` failure to hold onto
its Muslim "votebank" in the state.
"Congress is unable to legitimately win the hearts of
the people of Gujarat through the electoral process. Recently,
their defeat in their former stronghold Kathlal in a
by-election has shattered their morale. They have lost
overwhelmingly in several local bodies too," Sitharaman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Monsanto lobbies with US lawmakers on Indian regulatory issues
- Another on brink of extinction: Northern spotted owl added to endangered species list
- This teen daughter of slain Indian Army captain will leave all Muslim-haters red faced – WATCH
- India's 1-run loss to West Indies: Twitter world, especially KING VIRU go crazy
- China's top 500 firms report first revenue decline in 15 years