Cong gave dalits their rightful place: Digvijay
Azamgarh: Digvijay Singh on Sunday described
Congress as the party which gave Dalits their rightful place
in society by granting them a role in the making of the
Constitution and installing them in high positions and accused
the ruling BSP in Uttar Pradesh of doing nothing for them.
"Congress always gave the right place to dalits. From
giving them a role in Constitution making to installing a
member of the community as the Speaker of the present Lok
Sabha, the party always gave value to dalits unlike BSP,"
Singh said addressing a Dalit conference here.
Accusing the Mayawati government of doing nothing for
Dalits, he said funds meant for their welfare had been
diverted to projects which had nothing to do with them.
Replying to a query, the Congress general secretary drew
a line between Yoga guru Ramdev and Gandhian Anna Hazare, both
of whom are engaged in anti-corruption campaigns.
"While Ramdev is a thug (cheat), Hazare is a social
worker and that is why the government acted on his demands,"
Singh, who is the AICC in-charge of Uttar Pradesh, said.
On the notice served to Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal
by the Income Tax department, Singh said it had been issued to
the former bureaucrat in 2005 itself and charged him with not
only flouting goverment service rules but also being involved
in politics and collecting "crores" through his NGO.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Madhuri Dixit turns singer on reality show
- Tripura Civil Service officer rapes woman in Agartala, now absconding
- Summer health tips: How to stay energetic throughout the day!
- China reacts to PM Modi, says wants 'mutually acceptable solution to issues with India'
- Ravi Shastri accuses Sourav Ganguly of being disrespectful during the interview process