Cong goes soft on Mamata
New Delhi: Congress appears to be buying time with Mamata Banerjee till the assembly elections in five states, including UP, are completed, by asserting there is "no rift" with the ally despite the recent acrimony.
Congress spokesman Abhishek Singhvi today said "nobody
is denying that there are differences of opinion. Such difference of opinion are not irreconcilable....To try to act like `Narad muni` to provoke and to create a provocative atmosphere is not right."
"We are allies. There is nothing which cannot be sorted
out through talks. Sometimes it is time consuming," Singhvi
said when asked about the long rope the Congress planned to
give to the West Bengal Chief Minister.
A senior party leader, who declined to be identified,
said that the party was awaiting the outcome in the five
states which could increase its manoeuvrability inside the UPA
as also in the Rajya Sabha. The ruling alliance is in a
minority in the Upper House.
"We are not perverse or unreasonable with Mamata on any
issue, be it the sharing of Teesta waters, the FDI in
retail or the Lokpal bill," he said, adding that "no ally
could have a veto".
Another party leader said that the Congress` reaction
should not be seen as a sign of weakness. Party leaders say
that it was open to do business with the Samajwadai Party
having 22 Lok Sabha members after the UP polls to marginalise
the Trinamool Congress which has 18 MPs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Ex-BSEB secretary arrested in Bihar toppers scam
- We are now talking to China eye-to-eye, raising issues of Indian interests boldly: PM Narendra Modi
- Release date of Salman Khan starrer 'Sultan' announced!
- What you need to know about dietary supplements!
- Euro 2016: Italy Vs Spain, England Vs Iceland; players to watch out for