Cong has failed to reciprocate our support: NCP
New Delhi: On the eve of the 9th anniversary of the UPA, Sharad Pawar`s NCP today lamented that Congress failed to reciprocate its support and friendship, but insisted that the UPA was "not a liability".
"We had not put any conditions before the government or the party leading the UPA. One lesson must be learnt in these nine years that we have constantly supported Congress and UPA, but unfortunately, Congress has not supported us," party General Secretary and MP D P Tripathi said.
Replying to a question, he dismissed suggestions that the UPA was a liability. "The UPA is not a liability, but an asset. If it was not, how could we have been part of it," Tripathi said.
Asked whether the UPA coalition needed a course correction in the wake of a series of scams and scandals, he said that it must be emphasised that whenever there was corruption, the alliance has acted against that, may it be the Commonwealth Games scam or the 2G scam. He said what the UPA needed was quicker implementation of laws so that the guilty are brought to book faster.
Another party leader and Union minister Praful Patel told a TV channel, "Action against people or ministers have been taken. The fact that couple of things have come one after the another which has created a lot of negativity.
"But the fact also remains that there have been lot of good decisions taken by the government over the years even if you look at the economy its not faltered, the way the global economy is faltered."
With the Lok Sabha polls just a year away, Patel said that the UPA has to ensure that "we gain the confidence of people in terms of good governance from now on".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre