Cong hopes Mamata will accept Pranab`s candidature
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday expressed the hope that TMC chief Mamata Banerjee will accept the candidature of Pranab Mukherjee for the post of President like other UPA partners who gave their nod.
"People give their candidature. After that whatever decision is taken with consensus everybody accepts it. Mamata is our very senior leader and we hope that she will also accept it. If everybody agrees, the whole coalition agrees then I think she will also agree," Union Minister and Congress leader Sri Prakash Jaiswal told reporters.
Jaiswal`s comments come at a time when Banerjee has reiterated her support to A P J Abdul Kalam for the top post.
In a posting on her Facebook page, Banerjee today said Kalam was TMC`s choice as well as the choice of millions of Indians.
"I gave voice to what millions of Indians want to see in a President," she said.
Refusing to budge from her stand, she said, "My party is a small party. We are not a big party with none of the resources others possess. We are led by truth and conviction. All through my life I have stood by my principles. I stand by the position I have taken."
Mukherjee had yesterday made a personal appeal to Banerjee, saying he expected her support as she was like a sister to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?