Cong hopes Mamata will ultimately back Pranab
New Delhi: Notwithstanding Mamata Banerjee`s campaign for A P J Abdul Kalam as President, ruling Congress has not lost hopes that Trinamool Congress would ultimately back UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee.
Congress is also giving signals that it wants to keep Mamata Banerjee`s party firmly in UPA despite demands from its West Bengal unit to snap ties following TMC`s revolt on the issue of the Presidential poll nominee.
The view in Congress is that as support for Mukherjee swells in his home state West Bengal, Banerjee will find it difficult to keep her opposition to the first-ever Presidential candidate from West Bengal.
The expression of this hope was prominent in the remarks of Union Minister Sri Prakash Jaiswal who said Banerjee, like other UPA partners, will accept the candidature of Mukherjee for the post of President.
"People give their candidature. After that, whatever decision is taken with consensus, everybody accepts it. Mamata is our very senior leader and we hope that she will also accept it. If everybody agrees, the whole coalition agrees, then I think she will also agree," he said.
The central leadership of the party is also not attaching much significance to the sparring between state Congress and its ally in West Bengal on the issue and is in no mood to endorse the move by the PCC to withdraw from the government.
A Trinamool Congress minister in West Bengal has said Congress was free to quit the Mamata Banerjee ministry in West Bengal. His comments came after WBPCC President Pradip Bhattacharya`s threat to withdraw Congress ministers from the state government after Mamata`s rejection of UPA presidential candidate.
A senior AICC functionary, however, downplayed the event ruling out any first step by Congress to walk out of West Bengal government or pushing Trinamool Congress out of UPA.
"You must have noticed she has refrained from attacking Congress after Mukherjee`s name was officially announced as candidate. You also see Pranab Mukherjee also addressed Banerjee as sister and appealed to her to vote for him. Things will be sorted out," a senior leader, who declined to be identified, said.
Another party leader, speaking separately, said "Congress won`t do anything to rock the boat of UPA unless Banerjee herself parts ways.
"As far as her act of suggesting new names is concenred, all coalition partners are free to give suggestions till a collective decision is taken. She gave suggestions, which were not accepted by UPA, which in its collective wisdom announced Pranab Mukherjee`s candidature," he said.
A section in the party felt it will be better for Banerjee`s politics in West Bengal that she backs Pranab Mukherjee as even if she chooses to boycott voting in the Presidential elections, a wrong message will go against her and it will setting a bad precedent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'