Cong issues whip to MPs for passage of key bills
New Delhi: With Food Security Bill and some other major legislative measures scheduled for consideration in Lok Sabha on Monday, Congress is leaving no stone unturned for their early passage and has issued a three-line whip to its members for the entire week.
The members have been asked to be present in the House and support government business on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
Parliament will not have a sitting on Wednesday due to Janmashtami.
The consideration of the Food Security Bill, described by Congress as "game changer", could not be taken up despite being listed in Lok Sabha`s business since Monday last due to disruptions over Telangana and other issues. It will come up for discussion and passage on Monday.
After the naming of 12 members from Andhra Pradesh for disruptions over the Telangana issue, it was serious business in the House on Saturday despite being a Saturday when it passed as many as three bills.
Besides the food bill, other major bills coming up for consideration this week include Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Bill, 2011.
The land bill seeks to ensure a humane, participatory, informed consultative and transparent process for land acquisition for industrialisation, development of essential infrastructural facilities and urbanisation and provide just and fair compensation to the affected families.
The two bills are seen by Congress as "game changers" in the next Lok Sabha polls.
While several amendments have been given by different parties on the food bill, Congress leaders expect no opposition from any party to the pro-poor measure.
The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority Bill, 2011 and the Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers Rehabilitation Bill, 2012 are among several others listed for consideration this week.
The session has a heavy legislative agenda and there have been indications that it may be extended till September 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why