Cong issues whip to MPs for passage of key bills
New Delhi: With Food Security Bill and some other major legislative measures scheduled for consideration in Lok Sabha on Monday, Congress is leaving no stone unturned for their early passage and has issued a three-line whip to its members for the entire week.
The members have been asked to be present in the House and support government business on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
Parliament will not have a sitting on Wednesday due to Janmashtami.
The consideration of the Food Security Bill, described by Congress as "game changer", could not be taken up despite being listed in Lok Sabha`s business since Monday last due to disruptions over Telangana and other issues. It will come up for discussion and passage on Monday.
After the naming of 12 members from Andhra Pradesh for disruptions over the Telangana issue, it was serious business in the House on Saturday despite being a Saturday when it passed as many as three bills.
Besides the food bill, other major bills coming up for consideration this week include Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Bill, 2011.
The land bill seeks to ensure a humane, participatory, informed consultative and transparent process for land acquisition for industrialisation, development of essential infrastructural facilities and urbanisation and provide just and fair compensation to the affected families.
The two bills are seen by Congress as "game changers" in the next Lok Sabha polls.
While several amendments have been given by different parties on the food bill, Congress leaders expect no opposition from any party to the pro-poor measure.
The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority Bill, 2011 and the Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers Rehabilitation Bill, 2012 are among several others listed for consideration this week.
The session has a heavy legislative agenda and there have been indications that it may be extended till September 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof