Cong lashes out at BJP for `UPA appeasing US` comment
New Delhi: Lashing out at the BJP for
accusing the UPA government of being guided by the US,
Congress today said the party has protected the country`s
supreme national interests all these years from 1947 onwards.
"Congress has protected India`s supreme national
interest," party spokesman Manish Tewari told reporters here
on the charges of the BJP made yesterday.
Tewari reminded the BJP that in 1947 when the country
was not even Independent, Jawaharlal Nehru convened a
conference of Asian countries in New Delhi to raise voice
He said during the cold war, India took the initiative
and showed the way for non-alignment and in 1965 and 1971, the
same Congress government protected India`s supreme national
interest by emerging victorious in the war with Pakistan.
The spokesman noted that Congress strengthened India`s
diplomacy and referred to the end of "nuclear apartheid" under
the Congress-led UPA government in 2008.
Asking BJP to "introspect", Tewari said when the country
carried out the nuclear tests in 1998, the then BJP government
wrote a letter to the US and became a laughing stock of the
He said in September 1998, the then BJP Prime Minister
during a visit to New York talked about the unilateral signing
of the CTBT and after 9/11, the same government offered to
give US a unilateral offer of a military base.
BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy had yesterday said the
party was "disappointed" to note that the UPA regime was very
keen on getting the Civil Liability for Nuclear Damages Bill
through "to please" the US.
"Under pressure, the Prime Minister has mortgaged India`s
foreign policy to the US," Rudy had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened