Cong leader seeks deferment of Jan 30 polling
New Delhi: A Congress leader made a strong
plea today for deferment of January 30 polling in Uttarakhand
and Punjab during upcoming Assembly elections in five states
as the date coincides with Mahatma Gandhi`s death anniversary.
Former party MP J K Jain said he is writing to the
Election Commission requesting it to defer January 30 poll
date in view of the death anniversary of the father of
The single phase polling in Punjab and Uttarakhand is
scheduled to be held on January 30 and Jain is one of the poll
observers of the Congress for Punjab.
AICC has already hailed the announcement of poll dates
for Assembly elections in five states, saying it is "raring to
go" for the poll battle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre