Cong leader seeks deferment of Jan 30 polling
New Delhi: A Congress leader made a strong
plea today for deferment of January 30 polling in Uttarakhand
and Punjab during upcoming Assembly elections in five states
as the date coincides with Mahatma Gandhi`s death anniversary.
Former party MP J K Jain said he is writing to the
Election Commission requesting it to defer January 30 poll
date in view of the death anniversary of the father of
The single phase polling in Punjab and Uttarakhand is
scheduled to be held on January 30 and Jain is one of the poll
observers of the Congress for Punjab.
AICC has already hailed the announcement of poll dates
for Assembly elections in five states, saying it is "raring to
go" for the poll battle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal