Cong leader seeks deferment of Jan 30 polling
New Delhi: A Congress leader made a strong
plea today for deferment of January 30 polling in Uttarakhand
and Punjab during upcoming Assembly elections in five states
as the date coincides with Mahatma Gandhi`s death anniversary.
Former party MP J K Jain said he is writing to the
Election Commission requesting it to defer January 30 poll
date in view of the death anniversary of the father of
The single phase polling in Punjab and Uttarakhand is
scheduled to be held on January 30 and Jain is one of the poll
observers of the Congress for Punjab.
AICC has already hailed the announcement of poll dates
for Assembly elections in five states, saying it is "raring to
go" for the poll battle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued